We have only one month to the new year, and people have already laid down new year resolutions, with details of things they intend to drop, and new habits they will pick up.
It is a fine thing to do, you know, writing down new strategies to guide you as we usher in 2017. However, here are a few things I think you should really let go of, before we even usher in the new year;
- Lower Your Expectations; OF OTHER PEOPLE. I have put that statement in caps because I want you to read it very carefully. In 2016, people disappointed you, but it is probably because you expected so much of them. There are people you also disappointed yourself. Start expecting less of other people, and you will find that you suffer less disappointments, and in turn stay happier.
- Stop Being The Popularly Disliked Millennial; Articles have been written, conference meetings called, to discuss the millennial. Now, if you are in the dark, the millennials are people who were born between 1980 to around 2000. I am part of this generation. We have been labeled lazy, indecisive, arrogant, delusional, to name a few. I don’t believe we are all these things, maybe some of us are, but these negative words are not a representation of all of us. So, starting next year, let us prove these people wrong. We know what we want, no we are not lazy, no we are not delusional, or any other label put on us.
- Go Against The Grain; Can we all go back to actually having genuine relationships away from social media? Can we go back to being in love, true love, without feeling we need to advertise this relationship for validation? Can we go back to having true friends, no, not just on social media, but people you can call upon when you are in trouble, or when you want to have a good time, and when you simply want to talk.
- Take A Chance; Take risks. Look right, left, see the road might not be clear, and cross it anyway. Okay, not literally. Stop staying in careers that are killing your dreams, walk out of relationships that are not growing you, let go of friends and family that make you feel small and insignificant. Let 2017 be the year that you finally live your dreams, and get to be yourself.
- Set Yourself Free; To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing- Elbert Hubbard. Let it go, set yourself free, be your true self, they will judge you anyway, either way. So just do it! You have nothing to lose but yourself, if you don’t start being you now.
I am hopeful that we will all live to see 2017, and hopeful that the coming year will be a chance for all of us to LIVE. BREATHE.